Page 148 - British-Public-Schools-War-Memorials

Basic HTML Version

Deo dante dedi."
VERY beautiful Chapel has been built to the designs of
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, R.A., on a hill adjoining the
School grounds at Godalming.
On the foundation stone, which was laid by the
Right Rev. Dr. Randall, Archbishop of Canterbury, on
7th, 1922 , is inscribed:
Deo dante dederunt."
Over the south-west door, inside the Chapel, is inscribed:
They went
everyone straight forward";
over the south-east door:
Empti estis
over the north-west door:
Of thine own we have given thee,"
and over the north-east door:
Absentes adsunt."
Some of the panelling and seating of the Chapel, and the case of
the organ has yet to be completed.
The east end of the Chapel, including the Reredos and Sarcophagus,
was the gift of Sir Henry Seymour King, a Governor.
The Cloisters are the School's South African War Memorial.
A portion of the Memorial Fund is set aside for the purpose of
providing education at Charterhouse for the sons of Carthusians killed
in the War.
On June 18th, 1927, the anniversary of the occupation of Charter–
house at Godalming in 1872, the new Chapel was consecrated. About
2 ,000
persons were present at the ceremony. The Guard of Honour,
formed by the O.T.C., was inspected by Field-Marshal Lord Plumer,
who later unveiled the Screens near the west end of the Chapel, which
bear the names of the Six Hundred and Eighty Six Carthusians who
fell. Altogether
Carthusians served.
The Bishops of Southwell, Guiana, Monmouth, Newcastle, and
Sheffield, the Bishop Designate of Guildford, Bishop Talbot (late Bishop
of Winchester), the Bishop of Winchester and the Archbishop of Canter–
bury took part in the service of consecration. Lord Plumer spoke of the
War as a complete vindication of the English Public School training in
enabling unexperienced soldiers to take responsible posts successfully:
The Memorial Chapel is a tribute to
past and an inspiration for
the future.