Page 41 - British-Public-Schools-War-Memorials

Basic HTML Version

Hundred and Fifty Old Boys and Four Masters who gave their lives in
the Great War. On each panel is a victor's wreath in low relief and the
words
cc
In Memoriam,"
followed by the names, incised in Stancliffe stone
and coloured vermilion. The inscription on the Cloister is:
cc
Their
name li'Veth for e'Vermore."
The floor of the Cloister is paved, and each Bay is roofed with a
concrete dome. Opposite the central arch a flight of steps leads up to
the New Quadrangle, in front of the School Bujldings.
The Cloister was designed by J. Hubert Worthington, an Old
Sedberghian, of the Royal College of Arts, South Kensington. The
builder, E. HaroJd Pattinson, was also an Old Boy.
The foundation stone was laid on July 31st, 1922, and the Memorial
was unveiled by Lieutenant-General Sir Charles Harington, G.B.E.,
D.S.O., on July 6th, 1924.
SEDBURGH SCHOOL MEMORIAL
38