Page 43 - British-Public-Schools-War-Memorials

Basic HTML Version

CHIGWELL SCHOOL
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."
HE
Memorial is a Chapel of brick and stone, with a porch
at the South East End, built to accommodate 3
50
people.
The oak) red bricks and hand-made tiles are of Essex
origin or manufacture. The foundation stone was laid on
June 23rd, 1923, by Lord Lambourne, and the Chapel was
l.=.-_~==c..:Jdedicated
by the Bishop of Chelmsford on October loth,
1924, the sentence of dedication being preserved in the School archives.
The Head Boy, B. B. Jackson, delivered the keys to the Bishop on his
entrance; the Recessional was the Founder's Psalm CXIII. The first and
last offertories in the new and old chapels were given to the Public School
Cottages for disabled soldiers at Enh1m.
The Architects were Messrs. Tooley
&
Foster.
Mr. Reginald Hallward
designed the Dorsal of the Stalls and the
East Window, which represents four
scenes from the "Pilgrim's Progress,"
namely, "At the golden gates," "The
Holy City," "Meeting the lions" and
"The slough of despond." The design
of "The Holy City" contains in the
extreme left-hand corner a fragment of
glass from the Cathedral at Ypres. On
the outside lintels of the two doors are
inscribed the words:
"Laudate pueri
dominum, laudate nomen domini."
The Roll of Honour contains the
names of One Master and Seventy Eight
Old Boys. After each name is added an
appropriate motto in Latin or English, .
the first being
"Bene mort semper
vivere."
40