Page 41 - Eastbourne-College-Roll-of-Service-1914-1918

Basic HTML Version

John Frederick Mitchell was the son of Mr and Mrs J. H.
Mitchell of Kotagala, Ceylon, and was in School House in 1913
and 1914. At the beginning of the war he enlisted in the 13th
Bn. R. Fusiliers, and then transferred to the 21st Battery, Royal
Field Artillery, and spent the greater part of two years in France.
He was killed in 1917.
Second Lieutenant Thomas Lewis Vyvian Moody, who was in
School House in 191
and 1912, was the son of Colonel R. S. H.
Moody, C.B., of Eastbourne. On leaving the College he joined
with the view ofentering the R. Indian Marine
Service. He enlisted in the Australian Forces at Melbourne in
1914 and saw service in the Gallipoli Peninsula, being given a
commission in the 8th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment out
there. He was invalided to England, and resigned his com–
mission in order to enter the R.M.C., Sandhurst. On passing
out he was gazetted to The Buffs in July 1916, and joined his
battalion at the front in the following month. He served con–
stantly with his battalion till he was killed on March 21st, 1917,
aged 21. He was in command of two platoons, which were
surrounded by the enemy, and was shot by a German officer with
a revolver while leading his men in an attempt to break through
the enveloping forces.
Major John Henry Morrah, King's Own CR. Lancaster Regt.)
went out with his regiment in the First Expeditionary Force in
1914 and was mentioned in Gen. French's first despatches. He
was killed at the battle of the Marne on October 18th, 1914.
Major Morrah was in Blackwater from September 1888 to De–
cember 1892. Mer passing through Sandhurst he was gazetted
to the R. Lancaster Regt. At the beginning of the S. Mrican war
his regiment was stationed at Singapore, but he served in the later
stages, being sent out in October 1901 in command of a company
of Mounted Infantry; he was severely wounded near Vredefort,
Orange River Colony. In 1908 he was seconded for service as
Adjutant of Indian Volunteers, but he subsequently rejoined his