Page 74 - The-Meteor-Rugby-School-April-1943-to-December-1944

Basic HTML Version

25, 1943
the introduction of a substantial evening
meal and the abolition of useless quarantine.
..... Simey, soon after his appointment,
advocated the substitution of a substantial
evening meal for the customary bread-and–
jam tea supplemented by private purchases.
Wasteful, he said, and the boys who needed
a good supper in the evening were not only
those whose parents could afford to send
hampers from home. Victory was not easy,
and only after a few converts had tried the
experiment, and found that cooks did not
leave, or could be replaced, did the other
housemasters follow suit. Thus Rugby was
the first school to provide suppers with a
substantial dish in them. Every school has
followed its example.
" It
was Simey's sense of justice which
first made him consider whether it was fair
to quarantine boys exposed to infections in
the holidays, while freely sending boys home
at the end of term after exposure at school.
He preferred epidemics of measles .
and often ' rather than in bulk. His policy
succeeded, and he was the real author of
the regulations in the M.O.S.A. code which
allowed the return to school of boys who had
been exposed to infection if they were kept
away from its source as soon as recognized.
Many persisted with the safety-first method,
but epidemic history has supported Simey.
" He served the Hospital of St. Cross with
as much zeal as he served his school. He
was its physician and radiologist, sometime
chairman and secretary to the medical
board, and spared no pains to nurture its
rapid growth. The nursing staff there, as
well as in the school sanatorium, recognized
him for what he was."
On September 7th, 1943, \VILLIAM HA}IIL–
TON LEE WARNER, O.B.E., died suddenly at
his home, Peter's House, Bungay, at the
age of 62.
He was the third son of Sir 'William Lee
Warner, G.C.S.I., and a nephew of the Rev.
James Lee Warner and of Henry Lee \Varner,
some time Master, Housemaster and Gover–
nor of the School. These three sons of Canon
Henry James Lee Warner, who himself
entered the School in 1814, are commemora–
ted by ta,blets in the chancel of the School
William Hamilton Lee Warner
entered the School as a Scholar in 1894, and
was in the School House, which his eldest
brother, Philip Henry, the founder of the
Medici Society, had left the year before. He
excelled in Eton and in Rugby Fives and
was first string in the Racket Pair in 1899.
In that year he went up with a Scholarship
to University College, Oxford.
He then
entered the Colonial Civil Service and for
many years was stationed at Singapore and
in the Malay States. In the last war he was
largely engaged in food control among the
large Chinese population of Singapore and
the Malay coastal towns, in which work he
was singularly successful. In some ways he
had an almost oriental mind which could
unravel and counter the wiliest moves of
the profiteers of those days. But
he made
himself feared by some, he also had the
power to evoke the closest trust and friend–
ship among great numbers of Chinese,
Malays and Arabs. He could always get a
laugh out of them and the way in which he
chaffed them and pulled their legs was
thoroughly appreciated by them, and helped
him in many a serious negotiation.
In the last war, he was also sent on a
secret mission up through the Hadramaut in
South Arabia and further inland than any
European before him, to persuade the Arabs
of those parts to stop sending supplies through
to the Turks in the region of Mecca and
He was specially fitted for this
work as the Hadramaut Arabs trade largely
across the Indian Ocean to Singapore and
beyond and he had there been in touch with
many of them. He accomplished his mission
with much credit.
Malaria and other fevers had left their
mark on his health and he retired from the
Service in 1929.
He settled with his wife for a time in
Northumberland, but in 1936 he acquired
Peter's House, Bungay, on the Norfolk
In the present war he served in turn at the
Foreign Office, Admiralty and the Ministry
of Food, from which he retired on August
20th this year , only a few days before his
is difficult to sum up his characteristics–
it was such a blend of the serious and the
He was hail-fellow-well-met with
every one, from My Lord Bishop to the
plough-boy; and even the austerity of his
London Clul? failed to stop his determined
approach to every new face .
was a matter
almost of embarrassment, how he would
leave one and rush across the road and start
an hilarious conversation with some chance
passer-by whom he had never seen before,
and the roars of laughter which followed him.
He was a great talker, the words r ushing
out in a flood which he could not restrain.
He read much, and especially everything
about Arabia, Central Asia, and the Far
East. And it was in these subjects that his
closest friendships were made. And what a
friendship it was! Absolutely loyal, staunch
and unforgetting. He was always in touch
with such friends, whether they were at the
back of beyond or home on leave; and