Page 136 - Wykehamist-War-Service-Record-and-Roll-of-Honour-1939-1945

Basic HTML Version

M.C. (H,
1903-07), born September 15, 1889, was the elder son
of Brigadier-General Herbert Henry Burney,
C.B., C.B.E.,
and Diana Geraldine, daughter of Major–
General John Talbot Coke.
Is still remembered by his contemporaries as a more than vigorous "Up" who got into
Commoner VI in 1907. He passed through R.M.C. into the Gordon Highlanders in 1909. In
1915 he was promoted Captain, and after serving with his Regiment in France won the Military
Cross and was" Mentioned in Despatches." After the war he saw a good deal of service abroad,
and did two spells of duty with the West Mrican Field Force. In 1934 he got command of his
Regiment, and in 1938, on completion of his command, was appointed Brigadier of the 153rd
Infantry Brigade in the 51st (Highland Territorial) Division. With them he was captured at
St. Valery, and after a short illness died as a Prisoner of War on November 6, 1940. He was
above all else a keen soldier and devoted to his Regiment.
1907-10) entered Mr. Cook's House in Short
Half, 1907, and left in July 1910, when he was only just 16. He was son of A. H. Burton, and
was born on June 19, 1894. His elder brothers, R. C. and S. J. (twins), were both killed in the
last war. He left before his powers were developed, and had not had time to make his mark.
He went into business in London, but his work was interrupted by the war, during which he
served in the R.A.S.C. (Motor Transport) and reached the rank of Captain. Although over age,
he volunteered for service in 1939, and again held the rank of Captain from March 1940 in the
was on Active Service that he died in London on January 29, 1942.
1930-35), born October 28, 1916, was the elder son of
Vice-Admiral V. S. Butler and Mrs. Butler. He came to Winchester in 1930 from Copthorne.
Intellectually, he was well above average, his special gifts being literary. At first his purpose was
to enter his father's service, but later he developed a
interest in fiying, and he transferred
from the Science to the B ladder, in which he reached Sixth Book.
He passed 1st into Cranwell and received his commission in the R.A.F. While serving with
Coastal Command he was Killed in Action over Aachen May 25, 1940.
During his time at Winchester he made good use of his talents and rose to be a prefect during his
last year. He showed much promise in his professional career, in which, with his marked gifts
and width of interests, he might well have achieved distinction.
1941-46), the son of Mrs. Calvert, of Wetmore, Onibury,
Shropshire, who came to Winchester, Mr. Altham's House, in September 1941, died of meningitis
at Newton le Willows on January 26, 1947, whilst serving as a Signaller in the Royal Navy. He
won distinction in his last year by finishing 3rd in Senior Steeplechase and gaining his School
Running Colours: he was also a vigorous oar. With considerable artistic ability, he might well
have made a mark in architecture, which would have been his career.
1933-38) was born on October 10, 1919, son of Major–
General G. G. S. Carey,
C.B., C.M.G. (COLL.,
1879-83), and came to Sergeant's from Fonthill in
September 1933 to join his elder brother, G. C. Carey. He went rapidly up the School and reached
Sixth Book on the A ladder. .He was a School prefect and President of Boat Club, won Junior
Steeplechase in 1935 and Senior in 1936-he was not able to run in 1937-played in XV's in 1936
and 1937, and was on VI.'s dress in 1937, playing in one match. He was 2nd in the Mile in 1937.
He won a Holgate Prize and a Vere Herbert Smith Prize. This fine record was due to a fiery
determination to take on any job in work or games that' was a challenge to his stamina or called
for real hard work. Every such challenge he accepted with enthusiasm.
He left in July 1938 and went up to Magdalene College, Cambridge, and from there got a com–
mission in the Royal Engineers, after a period at an
For about a year he was employed
on bomb disposal work in England, but in March 1941 he was sent out to a Field Squadron, R.E.,
in the Middle East. His Squadron fought with the 7th Armoured Division and afterwards with
the 1st. In October 1942 he was awarded the Military Cross at El Alamein where, in clearing a
minefield, " the Scorpion which was leading the lane was knocked out, which necessitated picking
up mines by hand. Lieut Carey immediately took charge, and started this work under very heavy