Page 138 - Wykehamist-War-Service-Record-and-Roll-of-Honour-1939-1945

Basic HTML Version

of this year he was shot down off the Channel Islands, and was in his rubber dinghy for fifty-seven
hours until picked up by a destroyer. For his courage and resource he was awarded the D.F.C.
He was Killed in Action on June 4, 1942.
He was a first-rate Squadron-Leader and won the confidence ofall who served with him. A brother
Officer says: "His unfailing sense of humour, his courage and enthusiasm will long remain an
inspiration to all who knew him."
1922-27), born May 28, 1909, was the son of Vice-Admiral Sir George
K. Chetwode,
K.C.B., C.B.E.,
and entered Rev. W. D. Monro's House in September 1922. In his
five years ,at School he rose from Junior Part, Senior Division, to Sixth Book-in itself a tribute
to his industry and determination. He threw his whole vigour into whatever he was doing, but
he was seen at his best down River: he twice stroked School IV to victory at Marlow, 1926 and
1927, when he was President at our fourth successive win. He was a good gymnast, was in three
winning House teams and in 1927 won Bronze Medal. He also ran in a winning Green Jacket
Cup team. Owing to his short sight, ball games were difficult, but he was a useful "up"
Commoner XV, 1926. He was Co. Prae. his last year.
On leaving, he spent a year at Princetown University, and on his return became a Chartered
Accountant. He later joined Messrs. Myers
Co., Stockbrokers. He was in the R.N.V.S.R.
before the war and was at once commissioned in R.N.V.R. He was serving
as Paymaster-Lieutenant when he was reported" Missing" in the Battle of Crete. In November
he was reported " Missing, believed killed, May 194L" He left a widow.
1920-24), born September 11, 1906, son of
D. W. Clarke, Esq., of Brighton, entered Culver's Close from Twyford School in May 1920. He
became a House Prefect and won a Vere Herbert Prize for History.
On leaving Winchester in December 1924 he went to Sandhurst, and
1926 got his commission
in the K.O.S.B. In 1938 he married Miss B. Knox: After serving in France and taking part
in the Dunkirk evacuation, he went in 1941 to the Middle East, was wounded at El Alamein and
won the D.S.O. at Mareth. Subsequently he went to Sicily in command of the 9th D.L.I. and
was Killed in Action on August 13, 1943, near Catania.
Amost sterling character, he won his way, slowly sometimes but surely, to the respect and affection
of all who knew him both at School and in after life; and in his Regiment his complete devotion
to the interests of his men made him a greatly beloved figure.
1932-37), born October 19, 1918, second son of
W. Cliff Hodges,
will be remembered as the truest type of sportsman. He came to Win–
chester from St. Edmund's, Hindhead, where he had done outstandingly well at games of all sorts,
and was here skipper of Houses' VI (1936) and of Soccer XI (1937), in which he played three
years: he was a fine field, and was 12th man for Lord's his last year. He also established a record
for Junior Long Jump.
During his two years at Trinity, Cambridge, he got his Soccer Blue, took Honours in the first
part of the History Tripos, and was provisionally accepted for the
Service, to join which
he was later in 1941 asked in vain to transfer from the R.A. He had got his con1mission as
a Gunner early in 1940 with a Scottish unit to which he became deeply attached. He was in
France for a few days, but not in action, at the time of Dunkirk:. In July 1942 he went to the
Middle East, was slightly wounded at El Alamein, and (after Christmas in hospital with jaundice)
severely wounded at the Mareth battle in March 1943. In spite of nearly losing the sight of an
eye, he insisted on rejoining his old Troop in Sicily, where he was promoted Captain, and was
constantly in action there and in Italy, till he was killed (by a mine) on January 16, 1944. One
cannot better the words of a friend, who wrote: "I always looked on Bill as the salt of the earth–
he was such a magnificent athlete, had such a good brain, and yet preserved a simplicity of manner
which endeared him to all who came in contact with him. " He would have made a fine Colonial
Administrator, or other public servant.
1932-37), born April 2, 1919, only son of the
late General Sir Alexander Cobbe, v.c.,
came to " Toyes" from Sandroyd with an honorary
exhibition in September 1932. He spent five terms
Sixth Book, and was a School Prefect for