Page 124 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-I

Basic HTML Version

THE EXPANSIOK OF THE ARMY
97
brigade was opened at 252, Chapel Street, Salford, and acted as
a recruiting station for the Salford Brigade while Lord Derby's
scheme was in force from October, 1915, to January, 1916. After the
introduction of compulsory service, it continued to do valuable
work as an office dealing with questions of pensions, allowances and
other matters where an informed link between the military and
civil spheres was much needed.
15TH (SERVICE) BATTALION
The 15th Battalion had as sub-title "1st Salford," for it was the
senior unit of the "Salford Brigade" which was raised largely
through the energy of Mr. Montague Barlow, M.P., and the late
Sir Charles Mandleberg.
It
was formed on 9th September, 1914.
The first Commanding Officer was Colonel H. B. Moss, V.D., whose
previous service had been in the Volunteers and the 8th Lancashire
Fusiliers. The first adjutant was Captain C. M. Abercrombie, who
left on 15th November, 1914, to raise and command the 16th
Battalion.
By 28th December, 1914, the 15th was up to establishment and
moved to Conway, in North Wales. In June, 1915, the battalion
moved to Catterick Bridge in Yorkshire, but it had not finished with
the seaside as it spent a fortnight at Whitley Bay in firing its first
musketry course.
In August, 1915, it moved to Codford on the western edge of
Salisbury Plain, where it became part of the 96th Infantry Brigade
in the 32nd Division, going to France in November, 1915.
It
continued in existence until 24th October, 1919.
16TH (SERVICE) BATTALION
The "2nd Salford Battalion." to give the 16th Battalion its
sub-title, was raised on 5th November, 19I4, three companies coming
from Salford and one from Eccles. The first Commanding Officer
was Lieutenant-Colonel C. M. Abercrombie, who had up till then
been adjutant of the 15th Battalion and who remained in command
until November, 1917.
It
is hardly necessary to say that this unit,
too, owed much to the energetic support of Mr. Montague Barlow,
M.P.
The battalion trained in Salford until IIth February, 1915, when
it moved to Morfa, near Conway in North Wales. On 20th June it
moved to Catterick, in Yorkshire, and on 28th July to Ponteland, in
Northumberland. Its next move was to Codford, in Wiltshire, on
5th August, 1915, when it joined the 96th Infantry Brigade, 3znd
Division.
On 25th September, 1915, it received its first Lewis gun and on
20th October drew its service rifles. These events were rightly
interpreted as portents of an early move into a war zone; for on
22nd November, 1915, it crossed to France.
It
continued in existence
till the closing weeks of 1919, and was the last service battalion of
the Regiment to be disbanded.
H