Page 13 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-I

Basic HTML Version

2
THE LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS,
I9I4-I918
(Brigadier-General H. F. M. Wilson, C.B.) in the 4th Division
(Major-General T. D'O. Snow,
c.B.).
The 3rd Battalion (Colonel
H.
R.
Cobbatt) and the 4th Battalion (Lieutenant-Colonel
J.
A.
Turner) were Special Reserve units. The Territorial Force battalions
were the 5th Battalion (Lieutenant-Colonel
J.
Isherwood, V.D.) with
headquarters in Bury; the 6th Battalion (Lieutenant-Colonel Lord
Rochdale) with headquarters at Rochdale; the 7th Battalion
(Lieutenant-Colonel A. F. Maclure, T.D.) and the 8th Battalion
(Lieutenant-Colonel
J.
A. Fallows, T.D.), both of which had their
headquarters in Salford. These Territorial Force battalions together
formed the Lancashire Fusiliers Infantry Brigade (Brigadier–
General H. C. Frith) of the East Lancashire Division (Major-General
W. Douglas, C.B.).
There was a Depot organization of Regular troops at Wellington
Barracks, Bury, under Major
J.
F. V. Thorne, where the Special
Reserve battalions also had their headquarters.
Considerable changes in arms and equipment had been introduced
after the South African War. The mobilization equipment for
reservists held at the regimental Depot had been carefully overhauled
and obsolete patterns had been withdrawn and replaced by up-to–
date articles. The work of maintaining these stores of arms, clothing
and equipment had rested upon the staffs at the regimental Depot.
How exacting this work had been and how thoroughly it had been
carried out is shown by the fact that at Wellington Barracks, Bury,
no less than 73 inspections had been carried out between 1st April,
1909, and 3Ist March, 1910, and 25 between 1St April, 1913, and
31St March, 1914.
"MoBILIZE"
At 4 p.m. on 4th August, 1914, the British Government gave
orders for the mobilization of the Army. The order was received by
the units of the Regiment and at the Depot at about 6 p.m. on the
evening of that day. A party of reservists from Wigan actually
arrived at Wellington Barracks in the afternoon under the mistaken
impression that mobilization had already been ordered.
The response of the regimental reservists to their mobilization
orders was magnificent and bears the highest testimony to the lessons
of patriotism and discipline which they had learnt during their
service with the Regiment. The strength of the reservists on the
books on the 1st August, I9I4, was 1,752. Of these 44 were known
to be living in the colonies. On 5th August, the first day of mobiliza–
tion, no less than 1.454 reservists (including 10 serjeants and 62
corporals) had reported at Wellington Barracks. On 1st September,
II2 (including 2 serjeants and 5 corporals) still remained upon the
reserve. Many of the reservists living in the colonies rejoined later,
and only 36 men, some of whom were known to be unfit, ultimately
remained unaccounted for.
The physical condition of the reservists was excellent, and their