Page 224 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-I

Basic HTML Version

Captain G. G.
Captain W. R
Captain C.
R R Huxtable. RA.M.C.
Distinguished Conduct Medal
Private H .
B I'.
The lOth Battalion (Lieutenant-Colonel T. S. H. Wade, D.S.O.)
also helped to gain the "Arras" and "Scarpe" battle honours. After
six weeks of rest and training in the back area, it moved forward
April, reaching Arras on 9th April after a march through
snow which was described as "generally unpleasant." After some
hours of waiting, the men were given shelter in old houses and
cellars at the extreme eastern end of the town , near the station,
within a few hundred yards of where the front line had been that
morning. There was little sleep for anyone, as it was very cold and
the discomfort was great. The next day was spent
the cellars, the
battalion being
reserve at fifty minutes' notice to move. For the
most part 12th April was similar until the evening, when the
battalion moved out to occupy some reserve trenches . Snow began
to fall as it marched off and lasted through most of the night . After
covering three miles in as many hours, the battalion was ushered
into a field to await orders. Here it spent four dreary hours, "a cold,
shivering mass of humanity, its only protection from the wind and
snow its battle kit." Early on the morning of 12th April it was led to
the "Brown Line" at Feuchy, where it occupied former German
trenches on the western slopes of Orange Hill, a mile south-east of
the village and about 2,000 yards south of the position of the 2nd
Battalion. Owing to the large amount of artillery and transport
which moved forward and settled down near the battalion, some
liveliness was developed by the German guns during the day
This continued on 13th and throughout the following night. Though
the casualties were few, respirators had to be worn continuously
after dark, owing to gas shells being generously mixed with the rest.
On the 14th the battalion moved into support trenches on the north
side of Orange Hill, in readiness to help
repelling any counter–
attack on the newly won positions, but their services were not
required. On the 16th a German pigeon arrived at battalion head–
quarters and Lieutenant-Colonel Wade translated the message
which it carried and forwarded it to brigade headquarters. On
18th April the battalion was relieved and moved back to cellars
St . auveur, a south-eastern suburb of Arras on the Cambrai road.
TBI' .
The 1st Battalion (Lieutenant-Colonel M. Magniac, D.S.O.) in
the 29th Division, took part twice
the Battle of Arras, first in a
passive role and later in a more active capacity. For the first ten
days of April it was resting and training south-west of Arras. On
the IIth it marched through the by now familiar snowstorm to
imencourt, which it reached late at night, wet through, to find bare
huts and no blankets because the transport had broken down.
marched next day to the Citadel at Arras, passing on the way a