Page 231 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-I

Basic HTML Version

19 l
l 9 l 7
was very heavily shelled. The cellar was blown in, and a number
of the garrison buried. In spite of the continued shelling, Private
Stock of lst /6th, Private
Davies of the lst/7th and some
others volunteered to dig them out. They succeeded in extricating
all those who were still alive. Stock and Davies were awarded
the Military Medal for their gallantry.
A few days later, on l8th April, at 3 a.m. a party of 2 officers and
24 other ranks of 2nd/7th Battalion (Lieutenant-Colonel S. H.
2ND/ 7 TH
Hingley, Middlesex Regiment) left "D" Sap at Givenchy with the
object of entering the enemy's trench, securing identifications and
bombing dug-outs. The enemy were found to be alert, however, and
the raiders were forced to retire under heavy fire. Serjeant
displayed great gallantry and succeeded in bringing back to his trench
under fire Lieutenant W. Robinson, who had been wounded. He was
awarded the Military Medal. Three men were wounded and 5 missing.
The sister battalion, 2nd/8th Battalion (Lieutenant-Colonel H .
Gordon Roberts, 4th South Lancashire Regiment), shortly afterwards
had a disturbing experience in the same sector. At "Stand to"
early on 2nd May, the enemy blew a mine between two saps occupied
by the battalion which had the curious effect of exposing to view a
large part of the German line hitherto hidden. Major G. H .
Ramsbottom, second-in-command of the battalion, was partially
buried and received severe shock and head injuries from falling
Exactly a week later and a few hundred yards farther north,
another battalion of the brigade, the 3rd/Sth Battalion (Lieutenant-
Colonel A. S. Bates, D.S.O., London Rifle Brigade) carried out a most
successful raid with the co-operation of the Royal Artillery and the
Royal Engineers. A few nights before, Lieutenant F.
3rd/Sth Battalion, and the Brigade Intelligence Officer, Second–
Lieutenant D. Gray, 2nd/6th Battalion, carried out a close recon–
naissance of the wire in bright moonlight. The Royal Engineers not
only placed and fired a Bangalore torpedo which opened a way for the
raiders, but also discharged several hundred Mills bombs simul–
taneously from projectors by way of a preliminary bombardment.
To judge by letters captured a few
later, the enemy was very
considerably shaken. The raiding party consisted of Lieutenant F . H .
Crouch, Second-Lieutenant S. E. Reid, Second-Lieutenant
Pickett and thirty-seven N.C.Os. and men of "D" Company.
less than five minutes in the German trenches, but captured several
men of the 3rd Bavarian Reserve Regiment (lst Bavarian Reserve
Division)-a very valuable identification-who had evidently only
recently joined as their equipment and kit were new and complete.
Highly complimentary messages of congratulation were received
from the Corps, Divisional and Brigade Commanders. Crouch was
wounded but remained on duty ; three men were wounded; other-
wise there were no casualties.
determined not to be beaten
a competition, the battalion
which the 3rd/Sth replaced in the 197th Infantry Brigade also