Page 381 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-I

Basic HTML Version

time so as to enable Chorley to be taken back. For nearly six hours
altogether from start to finish Turner was engaged in bombing
encounters, often at very close quarters. The German counter–
attack proved too strong and the company had to fight its way back
to its starting point.
lost I officer and I3 other ranks killed, 4
officers and 40 other ranks wounded, and 26 other ranks missing.
On the other hand, it brought back 37 prisoners and had the
satisfaction of learning that the enemy, in his official communique,
had paid it the compliment of describing the operation as "a large
attack." Private N. Turner received the Distinguished Conduct
Medal, while Military Medals were awarded to Corporal A. Crook
and Privates G. AIdred, G. Evans, D. Hyde and
A. W. Long.
Farther south, near Gommecourt, the Ist/8th Battalion
S. MacLeod, 8th Durham Light Infantry)
turned to good account information of the enemy's dispositions
brought back by well-handled patrols, and on the nights of 26th,
27th and 28th April advanced its line on a frontage of seven hundred
yards and to a depth of five hundred yards, establishing and linking
a series of posts on the new position.
The Ist Battalion (Lieutenant-Colonel F. S. Modera, M.C.)
carried out a raid on Fenne Beaulieu near La Motte early on 6th
May, the attacking party consisting of Second-Lieutenants G.
McK. Bruce and W. Rodger and 58 other ranks of "C" Company.
Soon after starting Corporal D. McEvoy, M.M., and his section came
under heavy machine-gun fire from a hedge behind the objective.
McEvoy brought up a Lewis gun in order to bring cross-fire to bear;
and under cover of its fire he crept up to within thirty yards of the
German gun, which he bombed so effectively that the whole raiding
party was able to reach its objective. The farm buildings could then
be thoroughly examined: although no live Germans were found,
several corpses were seen and some valuable information obtained.
McEvoy was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his
share in this affair.
In the south the I5th Battalion (Lieutenant-Colonel D. Lindsay,
M.C.) exchanged knocks with the enemy in May. The Germans
began on I6th May by sending out two parties, each of three N.C.Os.
and about a dozen men, at about 9.30 a.m. to work down some old
saps which led into the battalion's line near Blaireville. These
parties advanced till they came to blocks which had been established,
when they leapt outside the trench, came thus past the blocks and
jumped into the British trench and began bombing inwards towards
two of the I5th Battalion's posts. One party was at once ejected
and quickly went back to its own lines, leaving two wounded
prisoners. The other party was more successful and when it with–
drew five men of the battalion were missing.
The same night a strong fighting patrol of the I6th Battalion
(Lieutenant-Colonel A. Stone) was sent out under Captain E.
Lord and Second-Lieutenant H.
agger to get a much-needed
identification. Lord led his party some five hundred yards into the