Page 434 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-I

Basic HTML Version

was becoming so heavy that it was obviously impossible to attempt
any further progress without the virtual certainty of unnecessary
casualties. Amongst those who had distinguished themselves
capture of farms this day was Corporal H. Chapman, who took
command of his platoon when its serjeant commander was wounded
and materially contributed to his company's success by his skilful
action at four farms defended by machine guns and snipers. "B"
Company on the left had kept level with "D" and reached a line just
beyond the easternmost of the two roads from Terhand to Gheluwe.
Second-Lieutenant F. Wood and his platoon tried to reach the
German light railway a mile farther east, but they suffered heavy
casualties and he himself was killed. By the end of the day the
battalion held a position to the north-north-east of Gheluwe,
within a short distance of the road leading thence to Dadizeele.
day until nearly 6 p.m.
Resistance was obviously stiffening and it was evident that the
British were approaching a line on which the Germans intended to
stand. In consequence, very little progress could be made on 1st
October. On the right, no advance could be made owing to heavy
machine-gun fire from Gheluwe and some trenches to the north of it.
On the other flank, "A" Company, passing through "B" at dawn,
succeeded in fighting its way forward about four hundred yards,
with its flank just beyond the Gheluwe-Dadizeele road. Wedgwood
was conspicuous for his skill, driving the enemy out of three strong–
holds and inflicting many casualties without any loss to his company,
which in fact suffered only sixteen casualties throughout the four
days of fighting. In his company was Private A. Simpson, who
during this day's operations went out alone to discover the exact
position of a German machine gun which was firing at his platoon.
He found the offending "pill-box," crawled round to its flank, shot
its two sentries, thoroughly reconnoitred the position and on his way
back shot a sniper who had also been annoying
The battalion, which had been handled throughout with the
utmost coolness and the soundest judgement by its Commanding
Officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Modera, was relieved the same night and
moved to some "pill-boxes" and shelters near Kruiseecke, a mile and
a half south-east of Gheluvelt. Its captures during these operations
had been 3 officers,
other ranks and 7 machine guns. Its losses
had been
officers and 14 other ranks killed, 5 officers and 104
other ranks wounded, and 6 men missing. Its rewards included :-
Bar to Distinguished Service Order
Lieutenant-Colonel F. S. Modera, D.S.O., M.C.
Military Cross
Captain H.
Rangecroft. M.C.
Captain C. Wedgwood, M.C .
Military Cf'OSS
Captain P. D. W. Dunn.
C. B.
Distinguished Conduct Medal
Corporal H. Chapman.
Private A. Simpson.