Page 435 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-I

Basic HTML Version

0 2
Bar to Military Medal
Serjeant T. Massey, M.M.
Lance-Corporal M. Bramley, M.M.
Military Medal
Company Serjeant-Major E. Reynolds.
Lance-Corporal J. Charnley.
Private G. H. Ackre!.
Private T. Carter.
Private H. Howarth.
Private A. E. Moorhouse.
Private J. Roe.
Serjeant J. Bailey.
R. Crooks.
Private M. Armistead.
Private W. Forrester.
Private D. Jones.
Private A. Pomfret.
Private R. WaIsh.
Private F. W. Watson.
The achievements and difficulties of the 29th Division and of the
1st Battalion had their reactions on those of the 35th Division,
which included the 17th and 18th Battalions and which fought on
the right of the 29th Division, between the Ypres-Comines Canal
18TH BN.
and the Menin road. Within its brigade, the 18th Battalion
(Lieutenant-Colonel C. E. Jewels, D.S.O., M.C.) led the attack on
28th September with the Klein Zillebeke ridge as its first objective.
accurate barrage opened at 5.25 a.m.; and the battalion, which
had moved up to its assembly positions between 9.30 p.m. and
3 a.m., advanced at 5.30 a.m. in drenching rain. Thanks to gallantry
and initiative such as that shown by Second-Lieutenant P. Merrick,
who rushed two machine guns and completely knocked them out,
the intermediate objective of the famous Hill 60 and "the Cater–
pillar" (a spoil bank on the other side of the Ypres-Comines canal
from the railway) was taken at 6.35 a.m. The troops then pushed on
towards Klein Zillebeke and encountered more opposition. But
Second-Lieutenant R. S. Bauld, M.C., led his men so splendidly that
he seemed to take machine guns in his stride. Second-Lieutenant
J. J.
Rewcastle, M.C., again distinguished himself by personally
leading an attack on three German machine guns which he captured
with their teams. A little later he entered a dug-out and shot the
nearest man, whereupon the remaining occupants, to the number of
forty, decided to "go quietly." Second-Lieutenant
E. Coutts led
his men to a flank and enfiladed a machine gun which was delaying
the advance, capturing or killing the crew. He was badly wounded
but nevertheless pressed forward with his platoon to the objective,
clearing dug-outs and dislodging the enemy as he went. The advance
of the battalion's right wing was helped by Merrick, who cleared
away a machine gun and its team which had been firing heavily on
the attackers. By 8.20 a.m. the battalion was firmly established on
its final objective. Indeed, Bauld pushed well forward of it, rushed
a "pill-box," capturing its two machine guns and killing its garrison.
Second-Lieutenant G. S. Cormack, who had taken command of his
company early in the day when his captain was hit, also led his men
well beyond the objective, rushing two "pill-boxes" under heavy
machine-gun fire, killing or capturing the occupants and taking their
guns. Patrols were pushed forward towards J ehovah Trench. Once
again machine guns were encountered. But Second-Lieutenant M.
Arnold rushed one of them with his platoon and enabled the rest of