Page 78 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-I

Basic HTML Version

on the left. The advance began at
a.m. and was slow, the Turkish
shrapnel falling very accurately. No.
Company, however, suc–
ceeded in reaching a position east of Fir Tree Wood where it dug in.
Its flanks were very exposed until the Royal Naval Division came
up on either side of it.
In the meanwhile, the 1st/6th Battalion had been leading the
1ST/ 6TH
attack on the extreme left, with the 1st/5th, Ist/J1:h and 1st/8th
Battalions behind it.
had to move over open ground where it met
~~~~~~: .
heavy shrapnel, machine-gun and rifle fire. But although this was
its first experience under fire, there was no wavering and it took its
main objective, a ridge four hundred yards from its starting point, in
NS .
spite of heavy losses, Serjeant A. Ramer being conspicuous for the
great ability and courage with which he led half his platoon and
earning the Distinguished Conduct Medal thereby.
then dug in.
Later in the day, the 1st/8th was sent up in driblets, one company
reinforcing the 1st/6th on the extreme left, one going to the left of
the 88th Brigade on the east side of Gully Ravine, while a third
occupied the bed of the ravine itself.
On the 7th, while the 1st Battalion hung precariously but
tenaciously to its position near Fir Tree Wood, the 1st/7th,
supported by the 1st/5th and the King's Own Scottish Borderers,
passed through the 1st/6th and made two attempts to advance, one
at 10 a.m. and the other a t
p.m. They too were met with heavy
shrapnel and machine-gun fire and their most strenuous efforts could
take them no more than a score of yards forward. The 1st/5th
deployed on the extreme left and attacked the feature later known
B N.
as Gurkha Bluff. But the orders were received very late, the troops
were tired and over-laden and the cliff was swept by Turkish fire,
while shells from both sides fell amongst the attackers. The attempt
was called off after a loss of 180 casualties. That night the brigade
was withdrawn to "W" Beach.
Dawn on the 8th found the depleted 1st Battalion still clinging
1ST BN .
on to its position.
saw first the New Zealanders and then the
Australians trying to advance, but failing to get more than five
hundred yards beyond the trenches held by Adams's party. In the
evening he was ordered to take No.
Company over the Krithia
Nullah and support the Australians. This was a most dangerous
operation to attempt. The advance was made in two lines, one
under Adams, the other under Captain
R. R.
Willis. But after the
second bound, Willis's party came under such heavy fire that he
decided to wait for darkness, which was then approaching. Re
thereby avoided many casualties and succeeded in reaching the
Australians, being soon joined by Adams and his party. The
Australian Commanding Officer ordered them to the front line; but
they found it so overcrowded that Adams decide4 to form a support
line close behind the firing line. There he and his men stayed till they
were relieved next day.
is sad to have to record that, on the day
after, Adams, a much-loved officer, was killed by a stray bullet while
talking to Willis in his dug-out.