Page 96 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-I

Basic HTML Version

was wounded. Less than an hour after that the senior N.C.O. of
the company reported that there were only four unwounded men
left. "D" Company was therefore sent up under Second-Lieutenant
F. T. Harrison. At about the same time Pearson heard that ISO
unwounded men were at the entrance of a nearby trench; but
efforts to organize an attack with them were of no avail in view of
the heavy fire coming from
II2. Soon after, the Munsters were
compelled to retire to the trench occupied by the Royal Dublin
Fusiliers. About fifty men of all companies of the Ist Lancashire
Fusiliers were collected by a subaltern, who was ordered by Pearson
to make an attack; but they were very soon driven back by shell
fire into the Dublins' trench. By 7.30 p.m. it was evident that the
attack had completely failed and that the scattered positions gained
by the Lancashire and Dublin Fusiliers were of no value and most
insecure because of similar failures elsewhere. The remnants of these
units were therefore ordered to retire behind Green Hill. The Ist
Battalion had lost I2 officers wounded and 222 other ranks killed,
wounded or missing.
After the unfortunate affair of Scimitar Hill, the Regiment's
battalions on the Gallipoli Peninsula had perforce to settle down to
trench routine very much after the Flanders style, but often with
greater discomfort. Mining was carried out by both sides. During
the night of I3th/I4th October, two Turkish mines exploded in the
line held by the Ist/7th Battalion east of Gully Ravine, causing eight
1ST / 7TH
casualties and temporarily entombing several others. On I4th
October the British exploded two mines against Turkish galleries in
the battalion's area. The same battalion was again involved in
mining activity on 29th October when it was holding a sector of the
line on both sides of Gully Ravine. At II.20 p.m. a Turkish mine
exploded near "Cawley's Crater," one hundred yards east of the
Ravine, slightly damaging the battalion's trenches and entombing
five men. And on the following night a mine shaft in the battalion's
line was blown in by the explosion of a Turkish mine; the unit
showed its resentment by heavily bombing the enemy throughout
the night.
The deplorable conditions on the Peninsula, with its flies and lice,
its insanitary state, its tropical heat and its monotonous and
unsuitable food, had caused much dysentery, jaundice, septic sores
and other ills. Numbers dropped so severely that in October the
Ist/5th and Ist/8th Battalions had to be temporarily amalgamated
1ST/ 5TH,
under Lieutenant-Colonel F. A. Woodcock of the 1st/5th and the
1ST/ 8TH,
Ist/6th and 1st/7th under Major C. T. Alexander of the Ist/7
Nature had not, however, exhausted all her ammunition in her
1ST/ 7TH
fight against the troops. On 15th November there came a violent
storm with deluges of rain. Bales of hay, sacks of bread and drowned
mules were washed away down Gully Ravine into the sea. All the
battalions of the Regiment on the Peninsula felt the storm, though