Page 193 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-II

Basic HTML Version

188
THE LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS,
I914-I9I8
The top of each of the side panels carries a large carved wreath, with
the words "Gallipoli, Salonica, Sinai" beneath it on the eastern
panel and "France, Belgium, Egypt" on the western. On the back
of the base, facing the Fire Station, appears the following:
"This Memorial Was Erected By The Lancashire Fusiliers
(Salford) War Memorial Committee And Was Unveiled By The
Rt. Hon. The Earl of Derby, K.G., P.c.. G.C.B., G.C.V.O., On
The 17th July, 1922.
Nearly Three Quarters of the Money Raised Was Handed
To The Lancashire Fusiliers Compassionate and War Memorial
Fund For The Assistance Of
~embers
Of The Regiment and
Their Dependents. "
The memorial is in Portland stone and was designed and executed
by Messrs. J and H. Patterson, of Manchester.
It
was erected on a
site given by the Mayor and Corporation of Salford, to whose care it
was entrusted. The cost was borne by public subscriptions, amply
generous as has just been seen, raised by a committee under the
chairmanship of Colonel
A.
J. Bailey, C.B.E., T.D., J.P.; the sum
handed over to the Lancashire Fusiliers Compassionate and War
Memorial Fund was £3,275 I6s. 4d.
Secondly, the beautiful seventeenth-century Church of the
Sacred Trinity, Salford, close to Manchester's Exchange Station and
within three hundred yards of Deansgate, cherishes several memorials
to the Salford Service Battalions. Particulars of them are given on a
parchment tablet, fixed to a pillar near the north-west door. On the
wall of the north aisle is a wooden triptych. Its centre, surmounted
by a golden crown on a golden cushion, has in its top corners the
words " Love Their Memory" and "Imitate Their Devotion" (quoted
from the gravestone of Humphrey Booth, founder of the church and
of the Booth Charity), and consists mainly of a representation
in
gesso
of Christ on the Cross with Saint George kneeling at its foot; whilst
below, alongside the Regimental badge on a shield of Saint George
surrounded by a laurel wreath, is the inscription "To The Glory Of
God And In Revered And Honoured Memory Of The Officers,
Non-Commissioned Officers And Men Of The Salford Battalions Of
The Lancashire Fusiliers Who Fell In Action At Thiepval, France.
On July 1st. 1916." The two wings record their names, a total of
15 officers and 256 other ranks of the 15th Battalion, 39 other ranks
of the 16th Battalion, and 5 officers and 30 other ranks of the 19th
Battalion. Below the triptych is a tablet recording its erection by
Sir M. Barlow, K.B.E., M.P., C. E. Harwood, J. E. C. Lord, JP.,
Mrs. Edith Hampson, Sir C. Mandleberg. JP., G. C. Haworth, J.P.,
Mrs. E. A. Higson, M.B.E., Mrs. Heald and J. Higson, J.P., and its
unveiling by Sir M. Barlow on 2nd July, I9I8.
It
was restored in
1935 "by surviving comrades,
relati~es
and friends of the fallen."
The principal memorial to the Salford Battalions takes the form of