Page 195 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-II

Basic HTML Version

THE COMMEMORATION OF THE FALLEN
18
9
parchments in glass-fronted frames, one on the outer (or aisle) side of
each of the wood-panelled pillars of the nave, on which are recorded
in
old black lettering, with decorations in gold, the names of all
members of the ISth, 16th, 19th and 20th Battalions who lost their
lives in the war. Finally, the Colours of those battalions, received in
the church for safe custody on 31st July, 1920, and kept for some
years in a glass case at the head of the south aisle, were laid up-–
and since have hung down fully displayed over the nave-at a
service on loth November, 1935, conducted by the rector, the Rev.
(later Canon)
R.
L.
Hussey (to whom this account owes much), and
the Rev. W. H. Fawkes, former chaplain in the 96th Infantry
Brigade, at which the seventeenth Earl of Derby, K.G., P.C. ,
G.C.B., G.C.V.O., T.D., unveiled and the Right Reverend F. S. Guy
Warman, D.D., Lord Bishop of Manchester, dedicated the nominal
rolls, the restored Thiepval triptych and the tablet on the north–
west pillar. The initiation, financing and execution of these memorials
were in the hands of a committee, of which Lieutenant-Colonel
J.
Ambrose Smith (who served in the 19th Battalion almost throughout
the war) was chairman, Major C. V. Godfrey, O.B.E., Chief Constable
of Salford, was honorary treasurer, and Captain S. H. Hampson,
M.C., J.P., honorary secretary. They had the benefit of the advice
of Mr. J. Hubert Worthington, O.B.E., F.R.LB.A., the designer of
the
Euryalus
tablet in the Bury Parish Church, who generously
refunded his professional fee. A final deficit of £6 was discharged by
the rector and parochial church council of Sacred Trinity, who have
continued to take care of the memorials.
Battalion Memorials
(oth~r
than those already described)
While every effort has been made to ensure that the list which
follows is complete, it has not been possible to obtain definite informa–
tion about some battalions.
1St
Battalion
In normal times, the fusiliers' institute holds a memorial tablet in
oak, carved by Miss Alice Shaw, "In Memory Of Officers And Men Of
The First Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers Who Fell At Gallipoli,
April2Sth, 1915."
It
consists of an oblong frame decorated on three
sides with a design of laurel intertwined with a narrow scroll
containing the pre-19I4 battle honours, with the Rose of Lancaster
in each of the top corners and the Victoria Cross in each of the
bottom corners, the whole surmounted by the Regimental crest and
scroll. Within the frame are five divisions, the centre recording the
names of the officers, the other four those of the N.C.Os. and men of
the four companies separately. The ascription is carved below the
lists.
It
was unveiled in the gymnasium of North Dublin Union,
where the 1st Battalion was then stationed, on 2Sth April, 1921, by