Page 198 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-II

Basic HTML Version

There follows an eloquent foreword by Lieutenant-General Sir
Aylmer Hunter-Weston, KC.B., D.S.O., M.P., fonner commander
of the 29th Division and
Corps, in which he paid a generous
tribute to the Regiment and the memory of its fallen. The whole was
beautifully printed and handsomely bound in stiff slate-blue cloth,
stamped with the Regimental crest and scroll in gold, with black
leather back and corners, by Messrs. Tillotsons (Bolton), Limited,
at Bolton. The number of copies produced was strictly limited, one
each being presented to the Boroughs of Bury, Rochdale and Salford
and the Officers Commanding the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and
8th Battalions and the Depot of the Regiment. They were handed
over during the ceremony of the unveiling of the Obelisk at Bury on
25th April, 1922, by Major-General Sir R. H. K Butler, KC.B.,
KC.M.G., then commanding the 2nd Division-on behalf of the
Colonel of the Regiment (Major-General C. ]. Blornfield, C.B.,
D.S.O.) whom sickness prevented from attending-in a speech in
which, after mentioning Field-Marshal Earl Haig's deep admiration
for the fighting achievements of Lancashire men, he stressed the fact
that the volumes were not intended to be hidden away but to be
available at all times, to serve as a reminder to all future generations
to do their duty, as those men whose names were recorded on the Roll
had done, no matter how irksome the conditions or how great the
cost. The volumes were received in trust by the following :-
The Mayor of Bury
The Mayor of Rochdale
The Mayor of Salford
Ist Battalion .. .
2nd Battalion .. .
3rd Battalion .. .
4th Battalion .. .
5th Battalion .. .
6th Battalion .. .
7th Battalion .. .
8th Battalion ...
Depot . ..
Alderman Charles Sanderson,
Alderman Samuel Diggle.
Alderman George Barker, J.P.
Lieutenant-Colonel C. de Putron.
:\1:ajor-General G. H.
Freeth, C.B ..
C. ~LG.,
Major M. Higgin-Birket, O.B.E.
Colonel J . Aspinall Turner.
Lieutenant-Colonel G. S. Lockwood, M.C.
Lieutenant-Colonel G. Scott, D.S.O.
Lieutenant-Colonel G. O. Ramsbottom,
Major G. W. SUtt011, D.S.O.
Major G. E. Tallents, D.S.O.
additional copy was placed in Bury Parish Church. The copies
allotted to the 3rd and 4th Battaliorts, which were never revived after
the war, were eventually handed over to the Regimental Museum and
the Serjeants' Mess of the Depot. Those given to the 1st, 2nd, 6th
and 8th Battalions and the Depot were kept in black oak cabinets in
the officers' messes and, like that of the 7th Battalion, shown to
recruits. All the boroughs keep their copies in their Public Libraries,
open for consultation by all who wish to see them.