Page 199 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-II

Basic HTML Version

THE COMMEMORATION OF THE FALLEN
193
The Silver Drums and Bugles
This part of the War Memorial consisted of a bass drum, two
tenor drums, eight side drums and six bugles (two more bugles being
added later), all in silver, with silver-handled drumsticks and silver
buckles on the slings.
The bass and tenor drums are ornamented with the Royal Arms
above the Regimental crest, the side drums with the latter only,
though all drums carry also the Regiment's battle honours in two
columns, below the crest on the bass drum, on each side of it on the
tenor and side drums. On the backs of all are engraved the words
IN MEMORY OF OUR
GLORIOUS DEAD
19 14- 19 18
On the back of the bass drum there is also the following inscription :-
THESE SILVER DRUMS AND BUGLES
WERE PURCHASED By THE COMMITTEE
OF THE
LANCASHIRE FuSILIERS
\V
AR MEMORIAL FUND IN 1921
As A
PORTION OF THE MEMORIAL
To
THOSE GALLANT OFFICERS AND MEN
OF
THE REGIMENT
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY
THEY WILL ALWAYS BE HELD
IN
TRUST FOR THE REGIMENT
By
THE
SENIOR REGULAR BATTALION
AT HOME
The
silver bugles are decorated with the battle honours grouped
round the Regimental crest, which is surrounded by a laurel wreath.
Below is a Sphinx and "The Lancashire Fusiliers" on a scroll .
As stated above, the charter of the Memorial provided that the
drums and bugles should be held by the senior Regular battalion of
the Regiment serving in the United Kingdom.
It
went on to say
that, in
the
event of there being no Regular battalion on home service,
the question of their custody should be decided by Commanding
Officers. (When both the 1st and 2nd Battalions were abroad
between 1928 and 1930, they were held by the 5th Battalion.)