Page 200 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-II

Basic HTML Version

194
THE
LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS, 1914-1918
The senior battalion in the United Kingdom at the time of the
inauguration of the War Memorial on 25th April, 1922, was the 1St,
to whose Commanding Officer, Lieutenant-Colonel C. de Putron.
they were handed over by Lieutenant-General Sir Beauvoir de
Lisle. who said he hoped those who marched behind them would
never forget those who had gone before and that the Lancashire
Fusiliers might be always found the same effective weapon, unblunted
by appalling losses , undismayed even in the days of non-Sllccess.
Plate
Though the officers' and serjeants' messes of several battalions
received beautiful pieces of plate in memory of individuals--such as
the silver model of one of the 30-feet service cutters of H.M.S.
Euryalus
presented to the officers' mess of the 1st Battalion in
memory of Lieutenant G. G. Needham, who fell in Gallipoli. and the
silver model of a machine gun with its ammunition box presented to
the same mess in memory of Captain T. W. Cunliffe, who was killed
while commanding the battalion's machine-gun section, also
in
Gallipoli-the only memorials of this kind. of a regimental or
battalion nature, appear to be the following.
1St
Battalion.-A
two-handled silver bowl.
II
inches high and
12 inches across, with a representation of Lancashire Landing on one
side and of H.M.S.
Swiftsure
on the other, both in relief, on a black
plinth bearing the following inscription in silver letters: "Presented
to 1st Battalion The Lancashire Fusiliers, by Rear-Admiral Sir
Stuart Nicholson, M.V.O .• and the Captain and the Officers of their
covering ship, H.M.S.
Swiftsure,
April 25th, 1915.
,It
is my
firm
belief that no finer feat of arms has ever been achieved by the British
Soldier.'-Extract from Official Despatches." On the reverse side
of the plinth in large silver letters is the inscription "DARDANELLES.
1915." In normal times, this generous gift occupies the place of
honour in the centre of the dining-table of the officers' mess of the
1st Battalion on guest nights.
2nd/6th Battalion.-A
bronze-metal German shell case, picked
up in France shortly before the end of the war by Captain A. S. C.
Fothergill of the battalion, 9 inches high and 8 inches in diameter.
on the top of which are engraved the names of the fallen officers and a
summary of the battalion's war service. The names of other ranks
who fell are engraved round the cylinder. The trophy is mounted
on a carved mahogany base, 5 inches high. and is surmounted by a
flower-holder in bronze metal. designed in the form of a bursting
grenade. The whole stands some 20 inches high. With Minden
roses in the flower-holder the trophy is placed in the centre of the
top table at reunions of the battalion; at other times it is held by
Captain
C.
H. Potter, M.C., (with Captain Fothergill the battalion's
historian) who supervised the execution of the concept.