Page 201 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-II

Basic HTML Version

THE COMMEMORATION OF THE FALLEN
THE LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS COMPASSIONATE AND
WAR MEMORIAL FUND
195
As stated earlier in this chapter, the balance of the amount
subscribed for the War Memorial, after the erection of the Obelisk at
Bury and provision for the silver drums and bugles, for the Roll of
Honour and for the cost of the appeal for funds and of the inaugura–
tion ceremony, was handed over to the Lancashire Fusiliers Com–
passionate Fund-a sum of £8,987
lIS.
od. from the central committee
in
Bury, a further sum of £3 ,275 16s. 4d. coming from the Salford
committee as mentioned earlier in this chapter. This is therefore a
suitable place in which to describe the origins, objects and history of
the Fund which has been of inestimable benefit to many thousands
of ex-members of the Regiment and their dependents.
Its beginnings afford yet another proof of the affection in which
the Regiment is held throughout the area from which it has drawn its
recruits and of the debt which it owes to those who live or work in
that part of Lancashire. On 20th November, 1899, a meeting of the
3rd Volunteer Battalion of the Regiment was held at the Drill Hall,
Cross Lane, Salford, when Colonel Lees Knowles (M.P. for West
Salford, later Sir Lees Knowles, Bart .) moved and Colonel Frederic
Haworth, V.D., seconded a resolution , which was carried unani–
mously, that a fund, to be called "The Lancashire Fusiliers' (Sal£ord)
Compassionate Fund", should be raised, transferred to two trustees
and used at the discretion of the officers of the battalion for the
benefit of Lancashire Fusiliers, whether of the Line, the Militia or the
Volunteers. Second thoughts pointed to the desirability of putting
the fund on a wider basis. The Salford Fund was therefore closed
and, on Minden Day, 1900, the sum of £1,000 was transferred from
it to the names of Colonel Frederic Haworth, V.D., and Captain
Benjamin Smyth as a foundation for a Lancashire Fusiliers Com–
passionate Fund, the former becoming honorary treasurer and the
latter honorary secretary. Messrs. David Smith, Garnett and Com–
pany, Chartered Accountants, of Manchester, were appointed
accountants and auditors; they entrusted the work to the especial
care of Mr. Joseph Wadsworth, who thus began a long and greatly
valued connexion with the work of the Fund. War Office approval
to the proposed rules was given on the 3rd September, 1900; and the
Fund received the approval and good wishes of Field-Marshals
Viscount Wolseley, Earl Roberts and Earl Kitchener.
The object of the Fund was to assist directly or indirectly present
or past Lancashire Fusiliers, whatever the terms of their service, or
their dependents; in later years the rules were expanded to allow the
help to take the form of grants for the education of children as well
as to relieve poverty or distress. The Fund was placed under the
control of "Managers," who were the Officers Commanding the
Depot and each battalion of the Regiment; later were added repre–
sentatives of the Bury and Salford Prisoners of War Committees
and of the Boroughs of Bury, Rochdale and Salford, in recognition of
the large sums they had contributed to the Fund.