Page 206 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-II

Basic HTML Version

200
THE LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS, 1914-1918
Gambie became the first curator, after
26
years' service
ill
the
Regiment.
The Museum speedily became popular and the pages of its
visitors' book soon filled up. A custom was established whereby
parties of recruits were taken round it by an officer and shown
exhibits which illustrated and made vivid to them the Regimental
History taught them as one of the aspects of their
esprit de corps.
The custody of all articles and money received for the Museum
has from its inauguration been in the hands of trustees, of whom the
first were Major-General G. H. B. Freeth (Colonel of the Regiment,
ex officio),
Colonel C.
E.
Hartley, T.D., Lieutenant-Colonel
R.
Maxwell Barlow, M.C., Major B. Smyth, O.B.E., M.V.O., and the
Officer Commanding the Depot
(ex officio).