Page 95 - The-History-of-the-Lancashire-Fusiliers-1914-1918-Volume-II

Basic HTML Version

CHAPTER
III
BATTALION SIGNS
IT
APPEARS
to have been in the spring of 1916 that all units, as well
as formation headquarters, began to display on their uniforms and
vehicles distinguishing signs which would identify them readily to
the initiated without obviously disclosing their titles to the enemy.
In most cases these unit signs were worn by all ranks just below
the collar at the back of the service dress jacket, so as to enable
troops coming forward to identify those in front. Divisional signs
were usually worn on the sleeve close below the shoulder.
The plate which follows shows the signs worn by the active
battalions of the Regiment. Except where otherwise stated, they
were worn as just described. The 12th and 23rd Battalions wore no
sign except that of their respective divisions, the 22nd and 40th, of
which illustrations appear in "Divisional and Other Signs," compiled
by Captain V. Wheeler-Holohan and published in 1920 by John
Murray.
The signs given in this chapter were painted by the compiler's
mother, Mrs. Cecil Latter , whose pictures are signed "Ruth Latter,"
from information supplied by the Imperial War Museum, to whose
staff thanks are due for the help and facilities given.